Ashes 2023

taupe

Locked into another thread,...

Can't be arsed with a new thread. I've been watching. Bazball certainly makes for more competitive games. Brilliant stuff.

So now I can be arsed. If only to.... nah.

But, yes, Bazball. It makes for an exciting game of things but is upsetting many. I'm no cricket officiando (played for the college XI but no further) but I do take an interest, and watch often.

What are the thoughts of folk here on Bazball? It seems to have been checked by the Aussies (certainly in this current test) so does it have its limitations. Is there a time and a place for it?

Bazzball is great. Bazzball is wonderful..until the opposition know what to do, then it is just silly.

It was the best thing in the world, it revolutionised test cricket - no one had ever scored 6+ runs an over before. Fantastic. A gimick.

A shame really. I thought we could do it for a bit longer, but we can't just rely on trying to score a boundry every ball when there are fielders on the boundry ropes.

As much as I like it, we need to do a G. Boycott. Dig In!

The declaration in the first test didn’t feel like Bazball, it felt like arrogance. I’ve no problem with the way they’re playing and it’s good to watch, but the declaration wasn’t right, to me.

I thought their 'positivity' lead to twonk moments in the 1st innings. Root particularly more-or-less throwing away his wicket in an attempt to take the game on. I too love to watch the joyous bat swinging but I do think England have become a little too gung-ho. Time and a place would be my preference.

The Aussies have anticipated it well, and played accordingly. At times, candy from a baby (which is a weird expression given how a baby might react!)

There’s a difference between playing aggressively and playing ridiculously inappropriate shots like a complete ****ing amateur - it’s a lovely idea but we’ve taken it way too far and some of the dismissals now are a complete and utter embarrassment

The declaration in the first test didn’t feel like Bazball, it felt like arrogance. I’ve no problem with the way they’re playing and it’s good to watch, but the declaration wasn’t right, to me.
Spot on. That and the short ball stuff in this test is arrogance not entertainment.

Love the approach, but as Athers said in the paper today yesterday was just bad cricket

Jeez, I'd settle for HitTheFuckingBall at the moment. Aussies got England's number.... I feckin' hate losing to them.

Collapse well under way now. Looks doubtful we’ll make stumps tonight.

Good old Aussies playing fair today - they never let you down

Good old Aussies playing fair today - they never let you down
Getting even aren't they? Grade A sulkers are the Aussies. Imho of course.

That ball was dead in my book. Carey had the ball and it was over. He then saw Barstow move and threw the stumps down. Wankers trick.

Stokes needs just a little bit of chill. I know he has an operating mode, and a proven one, but there is time yet. He doesn't have to wrap this up in the next hour. Lose him and we're really up against it.

Last edited:
I dunno... undeniable fun and tension etc but I can't help but feel like winning would be an added bonus.

Once it got down to about 80 needed, they could have played it out, and stood a much better chance than thrashing about like it was a 20/20 match

Reckless stupidity, and a fully deserved loss

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464