Is a top four finish achievable or a pipe dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you jest. There is no way Man. Utd. would have got top four even with Rashford.

If you define 'current form' as the last 5 matches, Manure are the ONLY team from 5th downwards that are performing better than we are, apart from Watford!, and could finish 9 points closer to us, so on current form Manure could be a threat to the top 4, but not likely. Thank God we stormed the first half of the season!

If you define 'current form' as the last 5 matches, Manure are the ONLY team from 5th downwards that are performing better than we are, apart from Watford!, and could finish 9 points closer to us, so on current form Manure could be a threat to the top 4, but not likely. Thank God we stormed the first half of the season!

But we're also 3rd. They're only 5 points behind Chelsea, who are 4th.

This thread is about our top 4 chances; I'd say the team in 5th are generally the biggest threat to that...

I don't think five teams are going to get 60 points this season.

We have 45 already.

It would take a 2000/2001 type collapse to blow a top four finish from here.

Surely you jest. There is no way Man. Utd. would have got top four even with Rashford.

Not beyond their reach imo. Only five points off a shaky Chelsea team in 4th. Having said that Wolves are looking good and never write off the spirit of Chris Wilder.

My god could you imagine:

1. Liverpool
2. Man City
3. Leicester
4. Chelsea
5. Wolves
6. Sheffield Utd

If we lose to Wolves then everyone's outlook will change instantly.

We are vulnerable, 11 points is nothing when the opposition has you fully worked out.

If we lose to Wolves then everyone's outlook will change instantly.

We are vulnerable, 11 points is nothing when the opposition has you fully worked out.

That is the game I'm not at all looking forward to. Adama Traore vs. Ben Chillwell.:eek:

I've said it before & I'll say it again. 4th would be a disaster, we need to finish 3rd. 4th only gets you a qualifier, which we'd ****ing lose. The entire season would then have been wasted & the psychological damage would be immense, leading to next season being abysmal. IT HAS TO BE TOP THREE !!

No it doesn't.
The top four countries get four teams straight into the group stage. Those countries are Spain, England, Itay and Germany.

Nice.

I think we'll finish 3rd. We had a phenomenal first half to the season. And then as we did in 15/16 a little blip over the busy period. If we lose again tomorrow though it will be more than a little blip. But I don't see that happening.

With Chelsea dropping points today, we could stretch our lead to 8 points over 4th place and possibly even 14 points to 5th with 15 games remaining.

This is not 2000/2001. Brendan Rodgers is not Peter Taylor. This is not Ade Akinbiyi, Trevor Benjamin and Stefan Oakes, we have some world class talent who would start in at least 90/92 teams in the country.

If we keep our squad together and build with some true quality in the summer with more world-class talent, a top winger, an excellent striker, CB etc we could be genuine title contenders next season.

I reckon we might even nip 2nd place this season if we finish strongly and start playing with our mojo back.

State-of-the-art training ground, possible stadium extension, excellent owners, fan base, squad, management. The future is well and truly rosy.

I think we'll finish 3rd. We had a phenomenal first half to the season. And then as we did in 15/16 a little blip over the busy period. If we lose again tomorrow though it will be more than a little blip. But I don't see that happening.

With Chelsea dropping points today, we could stretch our lead to 8 points over 4th place and possibly even 14 points to 5th with 15 games remaining.

This is not 2000/2001. Brendan Rodgers is not Peter Taylor. This is not Ade Akinbiyi, Trevor Benjamin and Stefan Oakes, we have some world class talent who would start in at least 90/92 teams in the country.

If we keep our squad together and build with some true quality in the summer with more world-class talent, a top winger, an excellent striker, CB etc we could be genuine title contenders next season.

I reckon we might even nip 2nd place this season if we finish strongly and start playing with our mojo back.

State-of-the-art training ground, possible stadium extension, excellent owners, fan base, squad, management. The future is well and truly rosy.

That's what I like, a bit of positivity! Good post, lad.

Love this post!

I agree with all of this. My main concern is I think BR talked about the number of matches and tiredness, as have several managers. Surely it is the same for all teams? One of our great attributes in the past is that we could keep going for 90+ minutes to win or rescue a match. I cannot imagine that we do not still have all the medical crew that helped the players achieve that. Maybe/hopefully it might be as simple as Ndidi coming back to restore our mojo. I do not think we have to worry much at the moment, as apart from Liverpool, every other team is dropping points as well as us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263